Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Plain soaps?

I recently got a new wooden mold (yes, another one!!), and made a few "plain" soap batches in it to get a feel for how I liked the size and shape of the loaf. 

Carrot, Buttermilk and Oatmeal bastille


This was my first time to make a bastille soap, and if the lather from the freshly cut end piece (so creamy!!) is any indication, I think I am going to love it! I used frozen carrot baby food (carrots and water only) for my liquid lye portion, powdered buttermilk and baby oatmeal, both added dry to the oils. I bought the baby oatmeal on recommendation from a Facebook group after I asked about where people buy their colloidal oatmeal, but I was unhappy with the texture it gave to the soap, so I've now bought oat flour instead, which is exactly what colloidal oatmeal really is! I fragranced this lightly with lemon, orange, and patchouli essential oils. 

Pineapple Jasmine

Nothing special in this soap, just my usual recipe with silk. This is one of my favorite fragrances I've ever soaped from Nature's Garden, but it did move a little quicker for me this time so the tops didn't end up quite as creamy looking. I stuck with just one colorant for this one, BB's fizzy lemonade.

Unfragranced Buttermilk

Again, the usual recipe with silk, but this was the first batch I tried the powdered buttermilk in, added dry to the oils, and believe it or not my first full unscented batch of soap. I absolutely love how creamy it came out, and it smells just like a fresh bar of soap should.

I've been experimenting with my "photography" lately too, trying to find the best lighting inside and outside my house. I found that the best time of the day to photograph outside for me is in the late afternoon to avoid too much harsh sunlight. Like here, when I photographed the unfragranced buttermilk soap freshly poured into the mold.



And what seems like the perfect spot inside the house, in front of the north-facing window in our second bedroom, which is were I took all of the above photos of cut soaps, and this one.



Here's my professional setup, haha.


I use the enamelware dish to help reflect a little of the natural light, and also to block the other side of the room (desk, tv, etc) from being in the photos. I've been wanting a real camera (all of my photos and videos still come from my trusty old iphone), and my honey said that once I learn how to find the right lighting and stage my photos better (really he just said "when you learn how to take pictures") we can consider it. So I'm prepared to practice, practice, practice!!!


Today was also my day off work, which of course means I made some soap! It struck me at the last minute as I was getting my supplies out, that I wanted to make another video. So I did! I still have to get it all edited (aka wait for my honey to get home from work), but here is a practice shot I did to test sound and setup that made me giggle and thought you all might enjoy. 






Thanks for reading/watching guys! Real video coming soon. :) 

14 comments:

  1. I love your soaps...and your photography is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your test video...lol! Great photography Laura, you've really done a fantastic job of capturing the natural beauty of your soaps. I haven't been happy with baby oatmeal either, I might try the oat flour instead...thanks for the tip! I can't get over how creamy your soaps look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You soaps are gorgeous!I like their simplicity and creaminess! According to my opinion it is time to buy a camera since you really know how to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photography! I wish I could do as well. And your soaps are so creamy. Very very very pretty, and the textured tops give them a sophisticated look. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much ladies! I'll be sure to let my honey know that you all think I am ready for a new camera, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your carrot bastille soap has a wonderful and vibrant color. Never could I have imagined that you took all these photos with your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirppu! Yes, the carrot soap turned out a really bright almost mustardy-yellow orange. I was hoping for more of an earthy orange, but it is still going to be a great soap I think!

      Delete
  7. Love the natural colors in your soaps and I think that you pictures look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Laura, the carrot soap looks gorgeous! Love that yellow! The soap has such a creamy texture, you can see it from here !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, they're all so pretty and creamy...I love the natural color of the carrot buttermilk and oatmeal soap! I think your photos are excellent...and love the test video! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, you are definitely ready for a "real" camera! :)
    Your soaps are absolutely gorgeous. I like using carrots for color and found out that tomato paste makes a deeper more earthy orange color. Please, please, please do a tutorial of how you get your tops to look so nice - I suck at pretty tops! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so so much ladies, sometimes we need that positive reinforcemet that you are doing right, you know!

      And Linda, my video will actually show how I do those tops, so you're in luck! Although, of course, the one in the video turned out a bit flatter. Still nudging my honey to splice it together for me tonight!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful soaps Laura! I love how you captured the natural beauty of the soaps. they look so creamy! You did a wonderful job with photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely soaps, Laura! They all look so luxurious. The carrot, buttermilk, and oatmeal Bastile sounds especially nice. The natural light in your photos looks great - the final photo of the Unfragranced Buttermilk in the dish is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete