Saturday, July 13, 2013

Breakfast Bar soap, cut

Here it is!!

It's been cloudy and/or raining here every day for almost two weeks, so it took me a bit to get a good photo, and even then I had to take about a dozen to find one I was happy with.  

The fragrances in the soap (Sticky Licky Buns and Bacon, from Nature's Garden) are pretty light now, but I did only add 1.5 ounces. Still nice, though I smell mostly the bacon, even though I added twice as much Sticky Licky Buns. They darkened the portion I colored brown slightly, and gave a really nice contrast with the uncolored/unscented portion.

Not sure really what the little brown speckles are, if it is oatmeal, colorant, fragrance discoloration or a little bit of each, but it doesn't seem to be smearing or rubbing off and adds some nice character. I was very happy with the loop-dee-loops I got in the "swirl." (All I really did was alternate pouring the two colors.)

As a recap, this soap was made with my usual oils recipe, with added oatmeal flour ("colloidal" oatmeal), buttermilk powder mixed with distilled water and added to the oils at the same time as the lye mixture, and also kaolin clay. You can see the video of me talking a whole bunch making this soap in my previous post here.

In the meantime, I have ran myself completely out of lye and am anxiously awaiting Tuesday. :)


5 comments:

  1. This soap looks very nice! It also sounds very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Laura, I love the swirls and the speckles really suit the soap! I bet it smells amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Laura! Love the swirls. Sticky Buns and Bacon sound awesome together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swirls are beautiful!

    I can sympathize with you on the lye shortage - I am also out, and due to some technical errors, it had been attempted to be delivered while I was on vacation, so I'm waiting for the company to re-send :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great and the swirls really came through gorgeously! :)

    ReplyDelete