Thursday, March 21, 2013

My first real swirl

I am absolutely loving my new-ish 9-bar slab mold from Bramble Berry. I made my third batch in it today with one of my favorite fragrances, and finally got a swirl I am happy with. My first batch was too thick of trace, and my second a bit muddied. I really wish I would have gone for a bigger size of this mold now, I love it so much! I also bought the guest-size bar dividers, which make 18 smaller bars, but haven't used those yet.



Even though I haven't been very active on my blog or Facebook page lately, I have actually still been making soaps. I've been toying with the idea of selling when farmer's market season rolls around, but I am still undecided. In the meantime, I am working on requests for more of the soaps I handed out at Christmas (people really loved the Sugar Plum Fairy and Spicey Apples & Peaches, and also a few soaps made especially with a friend's birthday in mind. I hope to find the time to get some photos taken soon so I can share them with you all.


Thanks for sticking around!

14 comments:

  1. Wow--that is some gorgeous soap!! I love those swirls (and the colors look so good together!)

    Selling at a farmer's market is definitely a big commitment, but the atmosphere is incomparable to any other venue! I love the weekly interaction with regular customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you m'am! I probably overdid the swirls a bit, but I'm sure I'll get better with practice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite colors :) And the swirls are very pretty. I would like to have a slab mold, but it is so difficult to get one here in Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty swirls, Laura! I love the blue and purple together. I have a similar slab mold and I love it, too. Best of luck to you if you do decide to do the farmer's market!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your swirls are amazing! Love the colors you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Holly! I must admit I watched a couple of your first slab mold vids to perfect my technique! It was really really helpful to hear you talk about how you'd learned how to best overlap your colors and stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really a gorgeous soap, both because of the swirl and of the lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors you chose! I love the feeling of getting a fantastic swirl right :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your swirls turned out fantastic, love the complimentary colors you chose! I really like swirling in the slab mold, it's so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great! I'm so glad that you are enjoying the mold, it's one of my favorites to work with. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura! This is so beautiful! I've been seriously considering buying a mold like this. Loaves are functional, but you can't get this kind of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Nikki (and AM!), I only regret that I waited so long to finally pick up a slab mold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome back Laura! I have missed your posts and was excited to see you post a new one! :)
    I love the beautiful swirl and color scheme. It's so bright and clean. Mine would have gotten all muddy since I would have gotten carried away with the swirling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your swirl. Well done. Great job for a first time swirler. I would love this mould but postage and exchange rates just don't justify it.

    ReplyDelete