Monday, January 7, 2013

Mostly natural soaps

I've seen a lot of very experienced and trusted soap makers write that no soap can be 100% all-natural because lye is a man made, lab-created, unnatural substance. I tend to agree with that principle because it just makes sense, and I don't want to make any claims about the ingredients of my soaps that might possibly be untrue. 

That being said, I thought I'd come back from my soaping hiatus by making a few "mostly natural" soaps. Here are my first two.



A shea butter and activated charcoal soap, with kaolin clay and tussah silk, and BB's Karma essential oil blend, a "nearly natural" (how fitting!) dupe of a Lush fragrance. This was one of those scents I really didn't care for in the bottle, but came through beautifully in the soap, soft and almost masculine. My honey disagrees though, and says it smells like old woman perfume, hehe.



Spearmint and anise, one of my favorite essential oil pairings, this soap smells divine!! This soap also includes activated charcoal, kaolin clay and tussah silk, along with French green clay and dried spearmint leaves (a little too much, I am afraid). I cheated and added a lovely shimmery mica when I didn't get the color I wanted from the green clay. 


I'm looking forward to making at least a couple more batches of "mostly natural" soap sometime in the near future, so stay tuned!


12 comments:

  1. I agree with that principle too, for the same reason as you. I'll just leave it at that because I could go on, lol. Both look great! The first one looks "pure" if that makes sense, and the second one...I actually like the spearmint leaves in there...love speckles! Spearmint and anise sounds like a lovely combo...I've never tried anise before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both sets of soaps, they each have their own unique design. I'm totally digging the blue in the second soap as it really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Laura, both of them! The black and white design is very striking, and I love the colors and spearmint speckles in the second soap...a gorgeous balance of color and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, I really enjoyed making both of these soaps. Just me and some music, and not a whole rubbermaid box of colorants etc spread out all over the kitchen. It was simple, and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, my husband would LOVE that spearmint+anise! He is a licorice fiend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also agree with your point of view regarding “natural” claims for handmade soap. Even though it is not 100% natural, handmade soaps still offer so many skin benefits and not to mention that some creations are really piece of art. I really like the elegance of your activated charcoal soap and this spearmint and anise is so beautiful. Such unique idea to combine spearmint leaves with blue and black.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well,considering that we can use ash (or maybe try to get natrium and let it react with water)in an attempt to produce lye, I rather choose the lab one. Lab-made doesn't necessarily mean worse choice. All pigments are proof,they are purified, unlike natural.
    So,I'm convinced that you can consider your soaps natural.
    Love them both,the first one,simple and elegant and the other one, kinda masculine and strong

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both soaps are gorgeous, Laura! I like the charcoal swirls, and I adore the spearmint and anise soap. The specks of spearmint leaves look great, and I love the black and blue swirls. Sounds like a great fragrance combo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Laura, those soaps are so beautiful! Love the 1st one, so elegant and the 2nd one is gorgeous, love its look!I have never used tussah silk, you made me curious :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura
    I love them! The spearmint n anise is my favorite! Awesome soaps!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The soaps are wonderful! Congratulation!
    Beate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful soaps Laura, the spearmint and anise sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete