Sunday, November 4, 2012

Soap cutter



Forgot to mention my newly acquired wooden multi-bar soap cutter, and to give credit for it's beautiful craftsmanship to Mr. Bud Haffner. I got my amazing new cutter from his Etsy shop, and it is truly a work of art. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around how to put something like this together, and I absolutely love mine. I'm thrilled I have finally found a soap cutting tool I am 100% happy with, after going through numerous knives, crinklers and cheese slicers.

My main reason for choosing Mr. Haffner's cutter over other suppliers was the bar size. I like thick, hefty bars of soap, and the model I purchased slices into a generous one and a quarter inch thickness. And you can't beat his prices! As for shipping, I ordered my cutter on a Sunday afternoon and received it the following Friday.

It might seem silly of me to say that the cutter is a big time-saver for me since I am not really a mass production type soapmaker, but it certainly does leave me time for other things. :)

I've used the cutter on five different loaves now (my apologies I wasn't able to get any good photos), three were 100% cold processed and two a mixture of cold process and melt and pour soap. Of course it cut all of the cp loaves beautifully. Of the CP/MP loaves, I gelled one and fridged the other. It would not cut through the MP portions of the fridged loaf, but cut the gelled loaf just fine. Not sure if this was a design issue, as most of the MP in the fridged loaf had all sunk to the bottom.

If you are looking to upgrade to a multi-bar cutter, I highly recommend these handcrafted beauties. 

photo from Bud Haffner on Etsy



14 comments:

  1. That's a beauty, great craftsmanship and price! Thanks for sharing the link...enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post! I am looking to get something better than my old cheese slicer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheese slicers definitely served their purpose for me for a long while, but I found that I had to adjust or change the wire very often and that was very time consuming because of the way mine were made. They also were difficult to keep aligned and I was ending up with unsightly striations on my bars of soaps more often than not.

      Thanks for commenting ladies!

      Delete
    2. I know exactly what striations you're talking about. Your new cutter doesn't make them,considering it cuts with wires too?
      Lucky you, now you got rid of an aesthetic issue!

      Delete
    3. No, I think it's the difference in the amount of force I have to exert to get the wire all the way through. That and how much better the wires line up.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the link,Laura! The soap looks amazing, like a chocolate :)
    Enjoy your soap cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a very nice soap cutter! I checked out Bud's shop - I'll have to keep him in mind if I ever decide that I want a cutter. It looks like he does beautiful work. Enjoy your new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, good to know! I really need a wire loaf cutter. It's good to have a word-of-mouth review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the posting the link. I also have cheese cutter right now that I use to cut my soaps. I do struggle with holding the bar firmly to make a clean cut. I have been eyeing the wire loaf cutter recently and hoping to get one for myself for XMAS :)
    Roxana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished poking around this etsy shop. I like to support other small businesses so I'll keep him in mind. They look like fun, but I'm still doing fine with my method of cutting...for now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry had to do over. This is great. I have seen his cutter mentioned on several sites. One thing I know is, this type of cutter is not made for melt and pour. It is suggested that you use this kind of cutter for cold and hot process soaps only. That would explain why you could not cut your M&P very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you first posted this- I bookmarked Bud's etsy page, and I promised myself as soon as I got some extra money I'd invest. Well- I got it on Friday, and I love it!!! Thank you so much for recommending it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh yay, I'm so glad you love it! What a huge difference it makes, right?? I am really considering buying a 1-inch cutter from him someday too. But that might just be dreaming haha!

    ReplyDelete