Friday, October 19, 2012

More of what I've been making

Just a peek at some of the soaps I've made over the last week or two. We've (yes, we!) been trying our hand at piping, which was a little nerve-wracking for me since I've never so much as even piped icing before! I piped the tops of two batches of soap that turned out pretty nice I think, but our attempts at cupcakes.....not so much. We'll just have to work on it some more, right??

Here is Carrot Cupcake, a long-time favorite fragrance of mine, definitely more spicey than cakey. I used cranberry and apricot seeds in the bottom to give it a bit of a spice cake look, as well as a very small amount of the top orange color ITP. In hindsight, I wish I'd had some orange colored soap on hand to shred up for the bottom to look like carrots, but I am still tickled pink with this soap--my very first piped soap! 

Washcloth made by my mommy :)
I felt insecure about my piping at the time.....solution was to add glitter!
The slight orange swirl

My next piped soap was more of an actual design, or at least an attempt at one. I finally used some of my Cherry Blossom fragrance in CP, and I was really really happy with it! The kitchen smelled so divinely light and sweet, mmmm. I did a height-pour and spoon swirl, then a messy swirl on top before piping on sort of a lattice greenery and some little plops of flowers. The top did get a little ashy, and the loaf was extremely soft still after three days in the mold. I always seem to jinx myself when I talk about things on the blog: "Guys, check it out, my plastic storage boxes always gel my soaps!!" Next batch, no gel. Hmph!

The natural lighting wasn't working in my favor today,
I swear it's not really THAT bright....
I really love this photo, the colors ready to go!

Sorry, no cupcake photos..... 

I also am really excited about the batch of Eggnog scented soap we made with goat's milk and real egg yolks. It had such a decadent and creamy texture when I poured it into the mold, and it smells absolutely wonderful! I can't wait to try this soap to see what kind of properties the egg actually added. As you can see, the fragrance oil has turned this soap very dark, but I did add some TD to the top portion. 


Here it was in the mold. I think this is one my favorite
"wet soap" photos of mine. Mmm!

Last but not least, I have started working on some fabric flower pins for Christmas gifts. I found some really pretty fabrics at Wal-Mart for fairly cheap and thought the colors worked really well together. I also added some of the glitter tulle I already had, some fuzzy yarn and a few beads. I know it's not soap, but I was super happy with how my first one turned out and wanted to share. 



Thanks for having a look, hope everyone has a great and productive weekend! (So I can have a look at all your soaps, tehe!)


18 comments:

  1. I think your piped soaps look great! They look way better than my batch turned out last night. I LOVE egg in soap--it's so creamy. I passed over an eggnog fragrance because it would turn dark. After looking at yours, I wish I'd gotten it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I love the Eggnog FO I got, from Nature's Garden. It still smells amazing, sweet and creamy with just a tiny touch of spice.

      Delete
  2. Theylook lovely,your piped soaps,Laura!I find your goat's milk and egg yolks soap really yammy!Interesting how the fragrance oil has turned this soap very dark, you would say this is a chocolate soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natalia! Yes, it is very dark like chocolate! Where us soapers usually frown on discoloring FO's, everyone in the family seems to love the brown color. they always comment on it when they pick it up to smell. So I guess I shouldn't mind it so much if everyone likes it!

      Delete
  3. They all look positively YUMMY! The tops looks so decadent, great job on the piping! I bought some tips the other day to try piping, I'm still working up the courage..lol! Beautiful fabric pins too, what a nice idea for Christmas gifts. That's so nice that you have a partner in soaping :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cee! I'm sure you'll be great at it! I think my biggest problem was picking the right tips, but we've done some internet research so I think I will get these cupcakes right next time!

      Delete
  4. they're all pretty! the scents and pictures of the carrot cupcake and eggnog ones are making me hungry! :) I like the sprinkling on the top of the eggnog one..is that cocoa powder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kalla! Yes, it's just a little cocoa powder.

      Delete
  5. They look so yummy, you should put on the label 'DO NOT EAT'!
    Tops are nice,don't look like beginner's work! I remember my first experience with piping, I wished I had done it before with real creams. That practice would have been useful. But, if not cake, I gave soap a shut !

    I'm really looking forward to reading about egg yolk soap sensation on the skin, I wonder what difference it could make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheated and practiced a bit on a paper plate first, hehe. I have a few extra smaller pieces from the egg/Eggnog soap I might put up for a giveaway on the blog soon. I would really like to get some feedback on it.

      Delete
    2. I just needed to announce it here: I had made my 'egg soap'! I'd put the whole egg in,but not together yolk and white!
      I'm preparing soaps for a little swap among three of us (Kirppu,Natalia and me) and one of the tasks was making a soap with a new ingredient which we hadn't tried before. So, I decided to give an egg try! It turned out very nice,(not mentioning TD specks- gggrrrr!) can't wait to try it.
      Thanks for inspiring me,Laura!

      Delete
    3. That's awesome!! I can't wait to use mine, let me know how you like "egg in soap!!" ;)

      Delete
  6. Grate job with piping! I really like this Eggnog soap, sounds interesting. I definitely put it on my “to do” list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made some amazingly beautiful soaps here, love the piping - I can´t do that at all. The carrot sopa is my favourite, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The piping looks great! I especially love the flowers on the Cherry Blossom. I also like how frothy the tops of the Eggnog soaps look. I've never tried egg in soap before - I'm curious to see what properties it brings to the soap, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much ladies! I am definitely thinking about giving some of the egg soaps away here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your piping came out really nice! I am also trying to find my way around piping soap cupcakes and I must say it was pretty nerve wrecking the first time around as well. I REALLY LOVE your Goat's Milk and Egg soap. I love the texture tops! Can't wait to hear how it feels once its ready to use!
    Roxana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! Just think, now when you do pipe icing you'll think, Man! This is easy!! LOL

    ReplyDelete