Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Soapmaking tunes?

Does anyone besides me absolutely require music to soap by? Honestly, I think I require music to do everything by, and I tend to associate experiences with what I was listening to at the time I was....experiencing them. It's just how my brain works. It's like a big (little?) ol' jukebox!

It's always interesting too when watching soaping videos on YouTube to see what music they've chosen for them, if they aren't speaking. Usually it's just a soft and unoffensive instrumental piece, but still speaks for the poster's  personality a bit too I think. 

Here's what I've been jamming to in the background while soaping for the last few weeks, mostly really fun, quirky, and upbeat stuff that puts me in the creative mood and keeps me dancing while I wait for lye water to cool. ;)

The Alabama Shakes:
I'd heard a lot about them before vacationing in Austin this year for SXSW, but hadn't really listened to them at all until I saw them play one night on Conan (or was it Letterman?), and then they kept popping up in a friends Facebook feed. I think they are really fun and have a style that is sort of universally appealing. Also a breath of fresh air from all the scary skinny greasy hipsters (I can give you some soap, people!) that seem to dominate the music scene these days. Check out their album Boys and Girls
Here's a taste of awesome: You Ain't Alone , Hold On


Beirut:
These guys are so similar to one of my other favorite bands, Fanfarlo, but American made. :) Such great unique vocals, and I love their horns! Just the right equal amounts of odd and catchy, with a fun Mexican influence. (They're from Arizona.) I've been wearing out their album The Ripe Tide.


We Were Promised Jetpacks:
How could you not love a band with a name like that? Maybe a little louder than some might have the taste for, but man can they rock a Scottish accent! I've fallen in love with all of their albums, wish I would have discovered them long before I did, oh man! And as my friend Matt pointed out, they seem to love aphorism song titles. (Don't worry, I had to google it too.)



So what do you guys listen to while soaping? Any creations inspired by favorite musicians or songs? 

I should have an order from Wholesale Supplies Plus arriving today, and I am way excited, so I'll probably have some photos to share soon. :)

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment